If your New Year’s resolution is to get your life – or your closet – in order, check out Marie Kondo. But if your New Year’s resolution is to get your data in order, you’ve come to the right place!
5 Good Data Tips
Nonprofits are proud of their massive email lists, and rightly so. However, we all know that the quality of one’s supporters is more important than the quantity. Now is the perfect time to do some house [file] keeping and ditch the junk. Here are five tips to get you on your way.
- Delete anyone with a suppressed email address. Hard bounces result in suppressed email addresses. Those records aren’t doing you any good in there, so let them go.
- Identify false emails. Sometimes Excel imports extra rows, and records with “@noaddress.ea” are created. Delete these records and set a reminder for yourself to do this quarterly.
- Remove quotation marks. Search for and delete double quotes from your data before import. They are a no-no.
- Implement form field validations. Decrease user error by using form field validations on your forms. You can specify the correct format for dates, emails, donation amounts and custom fields.
- Review import instructions. Moving forward, make sure you know the correct way to import your data. Remember, garbage in = garbage out.